The Arsenal managers who resigned after winning the league, and promotion.

On this day Jo Shaw, who had taken Arsenal to the 1934 title, resigned from his post in order to return to his job of managing the reserves.

He had in fact been made manager upon the death of Herbert Chapman as a temporary measure.  The club wanted George Allison to be manager but he was under contract as a writer and broadcaster, and did not want to break those arrangements.   So Jo Shaw became manager.  The first four results under him were three defeats and a draw,  but then the team pulled themselves together and only lost twice in the remaining 14 games, also drawing two and winning ten.

A slightly different case but with a similar outcome arose at  the start of the century when Harry Bradshaw was Arsenal’s manager when the club was in the second division.  Starting in the 1899/1900 season Arsenal were 8th, 7th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd – thus winning promotion to the 1st division for the first time in 1904.

However having taking the club step by step to the top league, he then resigned, seemingly over disagreements on transfer policy for the next season.

28 May 1900: Frank Lloyd transferred to Aston Villa, after just one season with Arsenal in which he played 18 league games and scored three goals.  His transfer date is also quoted as 26 May in some quarters.

28 May 1914: Frank Bradshaw signed from Everton.  He played in the final pre-war season and then in the four seasons immediately after the war totalling 132 league games with 14 goals.

28 May 1934: George Allison became the manager of Arsenal.  Upon the sudden death of Herbert Chapman, Allison had acted as middleman between the board of Jo Shaw in  the previous season.  Shaw now (seemingly happily) returned to his duties with the reserves at the end of his triumphal season, and Allison took on the role, ending his reign after the first post-war season having won the league twice and the FA Cup.

28 May 1937: Reg Lewis made first senior appearance in a friendly v Copenhagen and scored twice as Arsenal won 4-1.  His scoring knack continued through his time at Arsenal and he ended his career with 103 league goals in 154 games.

28 May 1956: Johnny Petts signed as a professional.  Although he stayed at the club for five years he only made 32 appearances before moving on to Reading.

28 May 1970: Napoli 0 Swindon Town 3.  Anglo Italian Cup Final.  Match abandoned on 79 minutes due to rioting with 100 people injured.

28 May 1976: Jimmy Rimmer made his only appearance for England, in a 3-2 win against Italy in New York. 

28 May 1977: Wimbledon, champions of the Southern League, were elected to the Fourth Division at the expense of Workington.  They went on to beat Liverpool in the cup final in 1988 and stopped Liverpool winning the double.

28 May 1999: Oleg Luzhny joined Arsenal for £1.8m from Dynamo Kyiv. He had been the captain of the side that got to the semi-finals of the 1999 Champions League, beating Real Madrid and Barcelona en route.

28 May 2013: Kyle Ebecilio moved to FC Twente on a free transfer.  He had come to Arsenal from Feyenoord and never played for the Arsenal first team but played for the Netherlands at every level from under 16 to under 21.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *