Some days – especially in June – we’ve been down to just a handful of events to commemorate when it comes to Arsenal.
But if you noticed, there was a real upturn yesterday, and today we are back to the level of events on one day in history, that we are used to through much of the year.
I’d particularly draw your attention to Billy Blyth – the first Arsenal man to appear in a movie. His may well not be a name you know, but his story is of interest. It was also quite an early story published on this site – the style has changed over time as we began to see what a rich heritage we were mining – and just how much of it had been forgotten.
Here’s the anniversary list for 1 July – of course there are not articles for everyone, but there are over 1100 now. The anniversary file – our index to articles – is on the home page
- 1 July 1911: Leslie Jones born in Aberdare
- 1 July 1953: Alan Sunderland born in Mexborough
- 1 July 1961: John MacLeod joined from Hibs
- 1 July 1966: Billy Flint McCullough joined from Millwall
- 1 July 1968: William Naismith “Billy” Blyth died
- 1 July 1973: Richie Powling signed as a professional
- 1 July 1977: Kevin Stead signed on free transfer from Tottenham
- 1 July 1987: Viv Anderson sold to Man U
- 1 July 1990: Kevin Richardson transferred to Real Sociedad
- 1 July 2006: The player loan agreement between Arsenal and Beveren ends – it is the closest Arsenal had to a nursery club since Margate in the 1930s.
- 1 July 2008: Flamini leaves for Milan – only to return in 2013
- 1 July 2012: Gavin Hoyte released by Stevenage and signs for Dagenham
- 1 July 2013: The transfer of Yaya Sanogo to Arsenal announced. He cost £390,000 and went on to play in the FA Cup final of 2014.
Tony Attwood, Chair, Arsenal History Society.