By Tony Attwood
Despite Arsenal’s position as one of the top two, at the end of the 2000/1 season there were extreme mutterings, after Arsenal finished second for the third year running, and this time ten points behind Man U. That was the season with the 6-1 defeat to Man U which Sky seem to show lowlights of once a week through every summer. We even lost the cup final.
What happened next
Arsenal started brilliantly in the league, suffered a home defeat, but then got themselves back together to make it one defeat in the first ten. Ultimately of course we did the double.
Here are a couple of early highlights:
- 18 August 2001: Middlesbrough 4 Arsenal 0
- 25 August 2001: Arsenal 4 Leicester 0
- 15 September 2001: Fulham 1 Arsenal 3.
This article is part of a series on pre-season friendlies. Here are the other articles so far
- 1996: The pre-season games as Rioch was sacked and Wenger appointed.
- 1997: Norwich 2 Arsenal 6
- 1998: The Pre-season games. Back to sausages after the caviar.
- 1999: Games against Monaco and Saint-Étienne
- 2000: The big transfers but a poor pre-season
- 2002: Gilberto’s first game in the tri-team tournament
- 2003: Pre-season warm ups and Celtic v Arsenal
Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football – Arsenal’s early years
Making the Arsenal – how the modern Arsenal was born in 1910