By Tony Attwood
The final Double quiz – concerning what happened after the Double of 71
1. In the 1971/2 we actually played two league games at Anfield. Why was this? Manchester United’s ground was shut – I think it was due to crowd trouble, but haven’t got the reference in front of me. Anyway, they played us at Anfield.
2. In 1970/1 our worst defeat was a 5-0 against Stoke in the league. In 1971/2 we suffered another heavy defeat – 1-5. Who beat us this time? Wolverhampton on November 20
3. It had been hoped (following the publicity surrounding his arrival) that Peter Marinello would make a significant contribution in 1970/1 but he had just one start and two appearances as substitute that season, spending much of the time in the reserves. What happened in 1971/2?. He had four starts and played four times as a sub. Much of the season was spent in the reserves. Marinello’s life was a tragedy, from being called the new George Best and going to Arsenal for a record £100,000, and scoring on his debut, he turned out to be more George Best the wild man, than George Best the player. He only ever played 51 first team games, and scored five. By the 1990s, after his business failed he was declared bankrupt.
4. In 1971/2 we played the club we know as Leyton Orient in the sixth round – but at this time they were having one of their occasional name changes. What were they know as, at the time? Orient.
5. The team that gave us our biggest victory in the league season in 1971/2 also knocked us out of the League Cup. Who was it? Sheffield United. We beat them 5-0, and lost 2-0 in the league cup fourth round replay.
6. With things not going perfectly in the league, Arsenal brought in a very famous player to help revive them at the end of 1971, and he appeared for the first time on January 1 1972. Who was it? Alan Ball
7. Bob Wilson was injured near the end of the 1971/2 season, meaning that our deputy keeper played in the Cup Final of 1972, and through the first third of the next season. Who was it? Geoff Barnett
8. Who replaced Arsenal as league champions, in 1972? Derby County
9. To celebrate the Double and prepare for the European Cup, just before the start of the 1971/2 season Arsenal played three European “Challenge Matches”. One club was played twice (home and away) and the other played away in front of one of the biggest crowds of the season. Who did we play? Benfica home and away, Feyenoord away. The Feyenoord game had a crowd of 63,000
10. A team that we normally associate with being in the the top division in England, and whose historic exploits have already been mentioned once in this set of quizzes, won the 3rd division in 1972. Who? Aston Villa. ~In the previous season while we were winning the double, they came 4th in the 3rd division.
The 1971 Double Quizzes
The answers to each quiz appear at the foot of the following quiz
The Arsenal Double Quiz Part 5: Beyond the Double
The Arsenal Double Quiz Part 4: After the Double
The Arsenal Double Quiz Part 3: More questions on the 71 Double
The Arsenal Double Quiz Part 2: The Double!
The Arsenal Double Quiz Part 1: The build up to the famous first double?