This is part of our video collection series in which we gather together the videos we can find of Arsenal matches against an individual club: in this case Brentford.
Here’s a list of the other clubs we have covered in the series – and this list is updated on our home page regularly.
In fact we have played rarely against Brentford in the modern era – the only games that have had cameras there being against Brentford in the League Cup in 2018 and in a friendly. But there was a spell when Brentford were not only in the top division but actually the team that could cause Arsenal havoc. And that amazingly enough was in the 1930s when Arsenal ruled the roost.
For after Brentford’s promotion Arsenal went seven consecutive games in the league without a win against the club! And it wasn’t that Brentford were the much stronger club – as can be seen from the season end column. Brentford actually only came above Arsenal once -in their first season in 1935/6; otherwise we came above them.
In the first post-war year Arsenal sank down to 13th, as an exhausted George Allison kept the club going while waiting for Tom Whittaker to return from his wartime posting. But by the time of the following season – in which Tom won us the league at his first attempt, Brentford had returned to the lower leagues.
Here are the games
|13 Dec 1902||Brentford v Woolwich Arsenal||D||1-1||FA Cup|
|17 Dec 1902||Woolwich Arsenal v Brentford||W||5-0||FA Cup|
|02 Nov 1935||Brentford v Arsenal||L||2-1||Division One|
|04 Apr 1936||Arsenal v Brentford||D||1-1||Division One||AFC – 6th BFC – 5th|
|03 Sep 1936||Brentford v Arsenal||L||2-0||Division One|
|09 Sep 1936||Arsenal v Brentford||D||1-1||Division One||AFC – 3rd BFC – 6th|
|15 Apr 1938||Arsenal v Brentford||L||0-2||Division One|
|18 Apr 1938||Brentford v Arsenal||L||3-0||Division One||AFC – 1st BFC – 6th|
|08 Sep 1938||Brentford v Arsenal||L||1-0||Division One|
|06 May 1939||Arsenal v Brentford||W||2-0||Division One||AFC – 5th BFC – 15th|
|12 Oct 1946||Arsenal v Brentford||D||2-2||Division One|
|26 May 1947||Brentford v Arsenal||W||0-1||Division One||AFC – 13th BFC – 21st|
|26 Sep 2018||Arsenal v Brentford||W||3-1||League Cup|
Brentford stayed in Division Two until 1953/4 when they were relegated again to the Third Division (South) and then to the Fourth Division in 1961/2 thus giving them a clean sweep of all available divisions of the football league.
The promotion last season marks their first return to the top division, and thus their first appearance in the Premier League. But they arrive having played 10 against Arsenal with five wins, three draws and two defeats. One of the very few teams that have beaten Arsenal more than we have beaten them!
As for the videos we only have one league cup game, and before that the June 2020 friendly
League Cup 2018
And that is it!
308 historic videos
21 golden greats (for all videos see link above)
- Winning the FA Cup
- Arsenal beat Sunderland on this day
- Swamping Villa and destroying Tottenham and Arteta’s last goal
- On this day Arsenal knock in seven – watch the historic video
- Arsenal beat Southampton on this day: the video
- Arsenal beat Valencia to make it to the Europa final – the video
- Arsenal beat Liverpool 3-1 – glorious Fabregas
- Anniversary of the last match at Highbury: watch the video to the end!
- The anniversary of Mr Wenger’s last home game: the videos and the banner
- Arsenal against Villareal: videos from the matches through history
- Arsenal thump Villa 4-0 on this day: watch the video
- Man C 1 Arsenal 3 on this day. Watch the video
- On this day Arsenal win the League and Adams scores: watch the video
- Arsenal beat Valencia in the Europa on this day
- Sunderland 0 Arsenal 3 on this day: watch the full game.
- Arsenal 3 Sheffield Wednesday 3
- It’s all Freddie in 2002. The video as the 3rd double approaches. Oh the joy.
- How to beat Newcastle: watch the video
- 25 years ago, Ian Wright scores against Blackburn. The video
- Arsenal v Tottenham as Tottenham seek to avoid relegation: the video
- We won the league at White Hart Lane on this day
The Arsenal History Society is part of the Arsenal Independent Supporters Association – a body which gives positive support to the club, and has regular meetings with directors and senior officials of the club to represent the views of its members to the club. You can read more about AISA on its website.
For advertising contact Snack Media at 0207 272 7582 or email Tom@Snack-media.com
For all other issues please contact Arsenal History Society at Tony@schools.co.uk
100 Years in the First Division: the absolute complete story of Arsenal’s promotion in 1919.
Henry Norris at the Arsenal: There is a full index to the series here.
Arsenal in the 1930s: The most comprehensive series on the decade ever
Arsenal in the 1970s: Every match and every intrigue reviewed in detail.